Not only is mental health a rocky roller coaster, so is life in general, and sometimes it’s okay to not have the motivation to do an elaborate self care routine or to even want to take care of yourself . People can bring you down, work gets stressful, and life can just be life — a shitty trifecta if you will. As much as we don’t want to, sometimes we just have to suck it up and do something for ourselves.
So here’s a list of ways to self care when you don’t really want to do anything.
- Get out of bed, lay on the couch, lay on the floor, just try to get out of bed.
- Cuddle your cat, your dog, your budgie bird, your stuffed bear, anything really
- Get a pen and paper and start scribbling, anything, doesn’t matter, colour the page with blue ink. Just something.
- Try talking to someone you love. It doesn’t have to be about the things that are bother you, just about anything.
- Watch your favourite movie or TV show, something you know usually makes you laugh
- Make plans. Not for that day but for another day, a better day.
- Make some food, drink some tea. Put sustenance in your body.
- Put on your favourite sweater or pyjama pants, your coziest clothing makes you feel good (mines baes Snap-On hoodie).
- Light a fresh candle, it’ll help relieve tension or whatever
- Put on a sheet mask, super low maintenance while feeling like you did a whole routine
- Lay something heavy on you, like a weighted pillow or a ton of blankets. Weight help soothe anxiety.
People often times don’t make shitty situations any easier so when things start getting overwhelming just try taking a step back and look at the bigger picture. You’re so much better than drama and you’re loved by so many other people.
Work gets hectic and while the cons outweigh the pros sometimes and as much as you don’t want to be there it’ll all be worth it.
Life gets better, we move on and grow stronger; you will too.